About

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Little History



Welcome to my blog and thank you for checking it out.  A little history of me and Ohio Feeders.  It started about three years ago when I got my first reptile.  I purchased a Bearded Dragon (that I named Eight) out of the blue.  I got him home set his cage up and had everything ready.  I was feeding him crickets every day and as he grew I was starting to realize how expensive this was going to be.  I did a little research and found out about cockroaches you can breed and feed to lizards, these roaches aren't your every day roaches you would think of.  These roaches are Blaptica Dubia cockroaches.  They are specifically bred to be feeder insects for animals.  They are much bigger than crickets so it takes less feeders daily (which means less cost) as you can see in the first picture.  They are super easy to breed and maintain (which means less cost).  The second picture shows the difference between an adult male and an adult female.  The males have the very large wings covering their entire body and the females have small wings. Don't be confused thinking since they have wings they can fly, they can essentially "flutter fall". It took me a while to get over the thought of purposely having cockroaches in my house but after plenty of research I decided to give it a go.  I purchased a starter colony package from Ian Haggerty at  http://www.theroachranch.com/ Ian is an awesome guy, has always been super helpful and has killer prices.  I got my roaches and got my tub set up to keep them in just like Ian posted on his website.  Within no time I was producing more than enough roaches for my one bearded dragon.  I started to sell my excess that I didn't need to my local pet store that offered feeder insects as an alternative.  This started my obsession.

2 comments:

  1. I can't fathom the idea of having roaches in my house :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a single one escape. I was leery at first but I soon got over the fear and it's not bad at all.

      Delete